These are pictures from my last PICC placement in September...
Yep, I'm getting another PICC. Since I need at least 6 more weeks of IV's and my last PICC got infected, I've got to go through this procedure again. While a port would be nice, my doctors think that once I eradicate this MA I will not need IV's enough in the near future to warrant a port. So another PICC it will be. I have NO idea why this procedure makes me so anxious? Maybe because it took three sticks to get it right the last time? I have had organs removed (gall bladder/appendix), I have had bronchs, I have been poked/prodded...heck I've even had two babies. Yet, no procedure makes me more nervous than this one. Once it's placed it's no big deal at all. It's just this tiny little 30 minute procedure that gives me chills. I'm not to the point where I need conscious sedation (Versed) yet. However, thank goodness for heavy doses of Xanax!
8 comments:
praying for them to get it the first time!
I feel the same way everytime I need a PICC. every placement has been a different experience for me. I get no drugs before hand so im always a ball of nerves! I was a pro there for awhile. Think i've had maybe 7 or 8. It's never taken 30 mins though? I've also learned after my last PICC that you can have angioplast do it...I will never get it done bed side again! I liked them doing it alot better. Good luck hun!
I with you Stacey!! I hate them as well and my last one took multiple sticks too!! I hope it goes smoothly for you and you only need to poke you once. Do you get anything before hand for anxiety? I think that helps ALOT!! Do they numb you up at least?
Thanks for posting these. Ive never seen what this actually looks like. When ever I get my PICCs I always make sure I dont look. That kind of thing makes me get light headed if I watch.
I hated PICC procedures too, always made me nervous as hell. First one I ever got, my boyfriend at the time was holding my hand and he never got shook up. Ever. And even he was like "isn't that too much blood?!" Creepy.
I haven't had a picc since I was 5 (b/c I've had a port since I was 5). Thank you for sharing pictures :-) I love cool CF pictures. ♥ Thinking of you.
Three cheers for well-trained PICC nurses...I've found they know how to place a PICC with minimum pain, stress, and blood! Everyone: if a regular nurse or doc is placing your PICC, ask if they have a trained PICC nurse to do it (and insist on it); at my hospital, PICC nurses do nothing else but place PICCs, all day long, for a variety of ailments, and they are damn good at it. - Laura 46 y/o w CF
great blog I liked it.
Helle
(http://www.dilseindia.org/angioplastydone.html)
Post a Comment