Monday, October 4, 2010

The Good News!

I had an appointment with Dr. Dazzle last Thursday. I was nervous about my PFT's. I have been REALLY junky since starting the Albuterol/Amikacin nebulizer treatments. My lungies are not used to nebulized treatments. I thought for sure this was a bad sign that I wasn't improving. Especially since I'm on enough antibiotics to keep a village infection-free. I was wondering where this junk was coming from. Well, it turns out it must have been hanging around for a while and it's finally working it's way out.

For those of you without knowledge about CF, it's as if my lungs are constantly infected with pneumonia and bronchitis. All of that infection clogs and scars the airways. Basically, mine are beginning to unclog! My FEV1 (large airways) increased by 4%, while my FEC (small airways) increased by 7%. It may not sound like a lot, but it's HUGE! I actually feel like this intense treatment plan is doing some good! I feel like I made the right choice by moving forward with the treatment now! It has given me even more motivation than I had before.

I'm still chugging along with my IV's. I've screwed up a couple times, gave myself double heparin or forgot to clamp when done, but I'm not dead yet, so the mistakes must have not been too major. I did however, freak Dr. D out a bit. I told him that my PICC got pulled out a couple centimeters during a dressing change and when the nurse turned her back I pushed it back in. Apparently, this is a no no. I actually knew it was a no no, since the nurse told me so just before I made the executive decision to push it back in. Apparently, the site still looks OK, but the real danger is sepsis. I'm not sure how I could become septic on this many antibiotics, but I'm sure it can happen. That was a week ago and I'm still doing OK, so I think the threat of infection is gone. Dr. D just made a point to reprimand me and I promised not to do it again :-/

All in all, things are going well. My bone marrow is holding up. We anticipate that it will start to fail in about 2 more weeks. At that point they are going to teach me how to give myself Neupogen shots. Nope, they can't go in my PICC. I actually have to inject them into my belly. Hey, if my cancer patients can do it, so can I! I'm thinking this would be a fun marital bonding activity, so I may actually ask my husband to give me the shots. I'm sure this is not what he had in mind when he vowed "in sickness and health"...Ha!

I've not had much motivation to open my laptop very often lately. I think that so much of my social networking world is tied to CF. Since I'm "living" CF for hours upon hours every day right now, I just think my brain needs a break. So please don't worry if you're not hearing from me much. I'm doing better than I expected!

5 comments:

Josh said...

Glad to hear to you are making progress, kiddo! Hang in there and take it one day at a time. :-) I can't think of anymore cliche' statements, but when I do, I will write them down. :-)

Kristi Bowers said...

glad you are doing better! yeah for good news!

Anonymous said...

You are in our prayers. Sounds like a Hallman when you just pushed the line back in place. Sounds like something I would do. Keep your chin up and things will work out. Your uncle dave

Anonymous said...

I am part of the chicken Hallman's. You are much braver than I am, I could never be a nurse or do the things you do. I just get weak thinking about it. Be glad you did not get those genes. lol I am so glad you are seeing some progress. I do have the perserverance genes and I think you got them. Like a dog with a bone, we hang in there til the job is done. If we don't hear from you, we will post anyway. You are always in our thoughts and prayers, you are family. Love, Aunt Barbara

Justine said...

What's an FEC? How did you get that number. It doesn't show up on my PFTs.