It wasn't until Sunday afternoon, when my body started feeling achy, that I thought that it might be a good idea to take my temp. That's when I discovered my low grade fever...99.4. I always run low (in the 97's), so this was a legitimate fever. I checked my temp several more times during the day and the fever seemed to come and go. It's a very fickle little bugger.
So last night, after freezing my butt off all night and sleeping very little, I finally got up at 2am when the sweats started, to take my temp. It was 100.4. Not super alarming, but I immediately googled the PICC line procedures, knowing that fevers were of concern. In HUGE bold letters on the page I found it said that you must procede to the nearest emergency room immediately if you have a fever over 100. Ugh! All CF patients and CF momma's know that ER's are a huge waist of time for us. The staff don't typically understand our disease or needs. I called the pulminologist on call and made my best effort in convincing her that I really didn't need to go to the ER. It didn't work...so off to that germ-filled place I went...knowing that my job would be more educating them about what I needed them to do, then actually getting any information from them.
So Dr. NoPersonality walked in when I got to my room. He asked me what drugs I was on. When I told him about the 3 grams of Cifoxitin his eyes popped out of his head and he asked if I was sure that wasn't an error. I bought my next dose of IV's with me, so I pulled out the container and showed him the dosage information. By the way, all experienced CFer's know tha you need to bring your own drugs to the ER. Dr. NoPersonality then mumbled that he has never seen anyone on that high of a dose of IV Cefoxitin for this extended period of time. It was as if he was questioning my treatment plan. This guy, that I had to spell "Mycobacterium Abssessus" for was trying to make a judgement about my coarse of treatment. Maybe if he had a personality I would have thought this was just general conversation, but instead it came out more as judgement.I proceeded to tell him that I needed labs and blood cultures drawn. I had to explain that I have a boarderline low white blood count, but that the cifoxitin has the potential to make this even lower. A normal white blood count is 4-11. If my white count is around 6 ot 7, that probably means I have a raging infection. So they drew blood cultures from the PICC and from a periferal vien so they could see if there is an infection in the line only or in the line and the blood. The blood cultures will take a day or two to grow, but the CBC showed that my white count is now 2. I am officially neutropenic and immuno-compromised. When is gets to 1.5 we start neupogen shots. I was hoping this wouldn't happen so quickly. There is a possiblilty it can bounce back, but it was frustrating to hear that it is at this point now. This does not mean that I don't have an infection, however.
They let me go around 6am and I followed up with Dr. Dazzle today. The ER doctor was absolutely convinced that I have a PICC infection, and that I need to get my line pulled ASAP. I'm not entirely convinced. I have little kids that are swarming with germs around me at all times. I think I probably have a virus. It makes more sense to me, since the boat load of antibiotics I'm on should really kill any infection I might get. Dr. Dazzle agrees with me. So, the plan is that we are going to wait for the blood culture results to come back. If my line is infected I will be admitted into the hospital, have my line pulled, get my IV's through a periferal IV for one day, then get a new PICC placed the next day. Oh, joy! How I love having PICC's place. Otherwise, I'm just going to ride out the fever...calling if it gets worse. If the fever does still last a few more days, I will get the PICC pulled anyway and go with the plan to have a new one placed. The fever has broken now, but I still feel like crud...fatiuge, muscle aches, etc... I'm just laying low for now.
CF is always an adventure!
9 comments:
I love how you name your doctors
I love you Stacey and i am praying for you
XOXOXO
Aunt Pat
I'm so sorry Stacey. That is awful. I was laughing at your story because that is exactly how I feel every time I go to the ER. It is just awful. My husband is making me a tshirt that says, "I have Cystic Fibrosis, it's a lung disease with other complications, I don't smoke, and here are the meds I'm on!" I hope you don't have an infection. I'm sure you are tired of the crap.
I am sorry. Boo. praying you feel better fast.
Read our blog for the first time tonight. I always knew you were amazing but now I know. I'll share with you a piece of advice my brother recently gave me. "Trust your cape superwoman, you know you can fly" Glad you are trusting your instincts.
Girl, you need a PORT! :-) I love mine. I've had it for...5 years now I think. It freaking rocks. It makes IVs SO much easier!
I have M.A. too, I have been on some strong drugs even I haven done 3 of cefoxitin haha!
LAst time I went to the ER for chest pains (first pluerasly episdoe and yes I cant spell) I said, I have CF, Cystic Fibrosis and the guy checking me asked me something really stupid though I cant remember for the life of me what it was... and I said do you know what CF is? and he says, "Isnt it something to do with nerves?"
It was also this ER visit where they wanted to admit for for pneumonia though I had to reassure them that I just got out of a 2 week hospital stay the day before.
I cant say I cant understand, not everyone is going to know CF right.
I hope you start feeling better though... I get fevers a lot w/ my M.A. so I know how they can drain you.
From a blog surfing, CF stranger :)
Stacey - you are an inspiration. You have taught me so much it's unbelievable. Hope you are feeling better soon!
Geez...I lose track of you for a week or two and this happens?!?! No good. :-(
ER docs can be so stupid. I think some get their degrees online. Glad you didn't have to get your PICC pulled, but just be careful. That is not something to mess around with.
Big hugs and lots of love, buddy.
Grrr I don't like how you were treated! I'm so happy that you told them how it was ;) You are AWESOME!!!!! P.S. totally loving the Dr. naming!! xo Cyster. I hope you feel better!!!
Post a Comment