My Dearest Emma,
You are a beautiful soul. You are the little girl I never thought I'd have...my miracle baby. The first time I looked down at your wrinkly, red little face, I was madly in love. I used to dress you up like a baby doll. I was so proud of you and overjoyed that you were mine!
You have ALWAYS been a Daddy's Girl. I can't say that I always found this to be fair. After all, I'm the one who carried you in my body for nearly 10 months. I gained weight, endured pain and have permanent stretch marks as a reminder. I worried about you from the moment I found out that you existed. Your father, on the other hand, gained a few pounds of sympathy weight...but never endured quite the same experience. Yet, you always preferred Daddy. I've taken enough Psychology courses to know that this is common in little girls. So I never really worried that it meant anything significant...until recently.
Early last week you woke with a start very soon after falling asleep. You ran into me and Daddy's room sobbing, saying that you had a bad dream that Daddy died. You were inconsolable. We tried to find out more details, but you just cried and cried...hanging onto Daddy for dear life as I stroked your hair. You slept with us that night. Afraid that if you left something horrible would happen.
As I thought more about that incident, I tried to make sense of your tears. This was much more than the run of the mill reaction to a bad dream. Why were you afraid that Daddy would die? Might you have been afraid that I was going to die, but unable to express this fear? Might you have already come to terms with the fact that I may die soon, so you were fearful that if Daddy died too you would be left without a parent. Maybe I'm making more out of the situation than need be. I just want you to know that my heart hurt for you that night, if only because I hate the possibility that my disease makes these thoughts even enter your world. I truly hate that my disease complicates your otherwise normal childhood.
As you have grown it has become apparent how very similar you and I are to one another. Not only do we hear how much we look alike all the time, but I think you have picked up many of my traits...both good and bad. You're a smart girl...always preferring books over dolls, you know what you want and how to get it, you can be stubborn, you truly care even if you have difficulty showing it at times and you struggle with anxiety. Sometimes we butt heads. Even as I'm writing this you became upset with me when I told you that you couldn't put a K$sha temporary tattoo on your forehead. I don't care how temporary it is, the answer is still no.
As you've gotten older I can feel that you sometimes keep me at arms length. I often wonder if this is self-preservation. Might you be afraid to get closer, since the reality of losing me is there? When I was sick a lot, sometimes you even seemed a little angry with me. I want you to know that I understand. I honestly think I would do the same thing. I am a master at putting up walls to protect myself from devastation. I get it and it's OK. However, no matter how high or thick that wall gets, I will never stop saying and showing you that I love you to the end of the Earth and back again.
I know that you know that this song reminds me of you. I know that you roll your eyes every time I say that when it's playing on my ipod. It's true, though. Emma, I want you to listen to these words and please, ALWAYS know that I love you more than you may ever realize during my lifetime. You're my little M&M after all...
I love you and I love you and I love you!
Mommy
(Sorry I couldn't get the actual video, as it wouldn't allow me to embed...don't click on the screen if it doesn't play...like it says)
8 comments:
Beautiful. I have also watched my daughter struggle with mortailty since CF entered her life a year ago. One of the kids at her last school told her her brother was going to die & the resulting emotions landed us in counseling. Much love to you, and kudos for nixinf the kesha tattoo!
What a beautiful letter and what blessed little girl Emma is.
Your an awesome Mommy Stacey. These notes are priceless and will be priceless to her. No matter where you are, they will be remnants of your love for her ;)
This was gorgeous and heartbreaking to read. You know...Emma loves her momma. I know because I see it every time we talk. Take solace in the fact that you are there to comfort her and hold her in your arms. Why? Because that's what great moms do. :-)
Lots of love always.
I have to say that I was a bit worried you were going to choose "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston. What a relief to scroll down and find Coldplay!
See, not only are you an amazing mama, but you're a hip one too. (Wait, is Coldplay still cool?? Someone enlighten me).
This letter was beautiful Stacey. I know how difficult it must have been to write it so honestly. I write letters to my angel every year on her birthday, and it's tough to be honest about the difficult things. I guess all we can do is hold our loves tightly when they let us, for as long as they let us. I want to give my daughter a huge hug right now- and one for you too.
Thanks everyone! Interestingly, I didn't cry when I wrote it, but when I reread it at 1am last night I got a bit teary. I just want my kids to be OK...that's all.
Lizi, you make me smile :-) I am soooo not the one who knows what's hip these days...but I am aware enough to know that it's not Whitney Houston! I have always loved this Coldplay CD, so let's just say it meets the hip for my day criteria!
Stacey - That was beautiful. What a wonderful gift to give to your daughter. I know she will treasure it!
xoxox,
deb
Man Stace, all your posts are making me teary eyed! <3
Post a Comment