However, I manage/consult with 22 Chapters of my organization...18 in the US and 4 in Canada. That means I must travel. A few years ago I was traveling A LOT. I was reaping the frequent flyer rewards...being upgraded to first class from time to time...getting to pre-board and walk on the "blue carpet" that is reserved for "elite" members only. At the security checkpoint I knew just how far I had to strip down, what had to go in a zip lock bag and how to smile just right at the TSA agent to avoid a pat down. I used to zip through the airport in my suit and heels, checking my Blackberry, walking with purpose...because I had places to get to and people to see. I'd catch my flight, get to my destination, catch a cab and meet with colleagues for many more hours. I'd then meet up with any friends I have in that town/state/province, head back to my hotel late in the evening, get a HORRIBLE nights sleep in a bed that is not my own, then get up and do it all over again the next day. I'd fly home, being sure to buy some little trinket for each of my kids from a random airport gift shop. This always helped with my own guilt for leaving them for a few days. Then I would get up the next day and work a full day...never missing a beat.
I'm pretty certain those days are now over...
I set out for my first trip in many months last week with letters from my hospital explaining my medical devices and wearing sensible shoes. I knew before even leaving for this trip that the heels were going to be a no-go. I got through security with no problems and my flights to Oklahoma City were fine. All was on time and smooth. Besides the fact that my lungs felt like they were shriveling like raisins while on the planes, all was great. I was thinking...this isn't going to be hard after all.
I got a good nights sleep with a little help from my friend, Ambien. My work day went well. I even got to meet with a fellow CFer, Darby, that evening. We compared coping mechanism and micro organisms, listened to the music of a fellow CFer who lost his battle and laughed a bunch...all while abiding by the three foot rule. Good Times!
I had another OK night of assisted sleep, woke bright and early (4am) and made it to the airport by 5am for my flight. We all boarded the plane and pushed off from the gate. All was right with the world. It was going to be another smooth day of travel. NOT! It turns out Houston was not allowing planes in due to fog. Back to the gate we went to wait for our clearance. I bought one of those gynormous bags of trail mix and read for a good while, until it was time to board once again. Three hours later...off we went.
We arrive in Houston and have to exit the plane outside. It's 175 degrees outside, and being a born and raised Ohioan, I'm draped head to toe in North Face gear. I start to sweat. My skin starts to burn from the salt being left behind. I rub my eye and now I'm done for...salt in the eye is the worst!
I get into the airport and find a screen to get information about my next flight. Turns out it takes off in 15 minutes. I spot a cart with one of those holier than thou drivers who gets to decide who gets a prized seat on the vehicle. I contemplate asking...maybe even begging...for a ride. I even thought about pulling out the CF card for this one. Then I decided it wasn't worth the questions or the ridicule. I think I would have cried at that moment if the driver had said, "But you don't look sick".
So I run, only to find out after a few minutes of running that this is going to be a marathon. This is where I thank the Lord that I decided to wear sensible shoes. After more than a mile of running with 2 bags wearing som
e of the most insulated clothing there is, I finally make it to my gate a few minutes too late. I rebook on to the next flight to Cleveland and set out to find something other than the sunflower seeds and raisins that I have been munching on all morning. This, of course, means more walking...more lugging of bags...more sweating... The people...there were just so many of them. A lot of them were twice my age! They were all wearing their suits, checking their Blackberry's and walking with purpose. I was just sitting there...defeated...coming to terms with the fact that I was no longer part of that club. My body has been beaten up by this damn disease.I finally drag myself to my new gate and board my new plane. When I got to my seat I pretended to struggle with getting my bag in the overhead bin, until a kind business man lifted it for me. When I was a "real" traveling business woman, I would have NEVER let anyone help me with my bag. That would have been a sign of weakness. This time I just didn't care.
I make my way to my window seat and put my headphones on to attempt to avoid any and all interaction with other human beings. The guy next to me doesn't get the hint. He bumps my arm and signals for me to remove my headphones. I humor him, only to hear him tell me how very glad he is that he's sitting next to me on this flight. He continues to tell me how his last flight was hell, because he was sitting next to a guy with the most disgusting cough. He was certain that the guy had Tuberculosis. It took every ounce of restraint I had to not tell him to F$#& Off. I should have told him that I have something similar to TB...I should have coughed on him. Instead, I just put on my headphones and pretended he didn't exist.
I got home in one piece. Even though every muscle, bone and join ached. I also brought a nice little sinus infection home with me. While I used this opportunity to bitch about how crappy business travel can sometimes be, I am happy to still feel well enough to work. I have just come the the realization that I am no spring chicken anymore, especially in CF years!
9 comments:
I remember the grueling days of corporate travel way back when. Running after flights that had already boarded. Counting a second bag of shitty pretzels as an inflight meal. Feet screaming bloody murder with each step forward. It was hell almost each and every time and I don't even have CF.
Don't beat yourself up about it. That's the bottom line. Don't work harder, work smarter. I know you know that. Just hang tough. My hat's off to you!
Stacey,
I'm a fellow Cfer from Cf2. I totally, totally understand where you are right now! I am so serious about my career - used to travel - even to Asia! I just can't keep up anymore and need to either stop entirely or go to a reduced schedule. But I know a reduced schedule means no more real 'career' and no more getting to where I thought I'd get. We're still blessed in many ways, but CF can be hard sometimes!!!
xo,
Kris
Great post. You and I lived similar lives. I loved status on United when I had it. Oh, I miss it. Upgrades, first class. Getting on the plane first.
What does F$#& mean? Typo. I'm laughing. Can't keep a straight face.
I'm glad you got home in one piece.
I loved this post! Although the specifics might be a little different ( I never had a glamorous career that allowed me to travel the country :) I never even got to wear suits and high heels in my line of work!)I feel like I can relate to so much what you wrote about.
I have often wondered why our lungs "shrivel like raisins" on airplanes. Do you know the reason behind that. Maybe it is obvious, but I don't know. I just know that it is so much harder to breath on and after a flight.
Anyway, I feel ya about not being a spring chicken anymore :(
Stacey,
Your post really affected me. It put into words exactly what I've been feeling and witnessing in my own life. I never had the high-heel, suits, first class traveler" kind of career, but in all other aspects of my life, I see myself slowing down, and simply not keeping up with my peers.
It hurts to witness this, it hurts to acknowledge it.
It hurts my ego to always have to choose the sensible shoes.
Thank you for writing this, and putting into words what I have not been able to.
hugs.
Whew! I'm so glad you guys got the point of the post. I am so thankful that I have had these opportunities...some that others with CF have never been healthy enough obtain. However, I think there is a sense of grief that is felt, at least that I'm feeling, at seeing it slowly slip away. For normal, healthy people this probably happens later in life. For me, it seems to be happening now. Love you guys!
Stacey,
I went through the same thing last time a flew, just 2 weeks ago. As a fellow Cyster with a career and oportunities to go alot of places, it is hard to pull back. On flights I wear sensible shoes, to work I still wear the high heels. I'm subborn that way.
Great post!
Hi Stacey,
I saw your link on another CF site and thought I'd take a peek. My 5y.o. has CF and I'm always looking to find adults that are successfully living life in spite of the disease. It's so encouraging to see that you are living such a full life...even with all the ups and downs that CF can throw at you! I'm so glad I stopped by!
I understand cyster! I only travel by road and overnight periodically but being an auditor my job is stressful. I've had to tell my employer that I could not work their required 45hr work week and could only work 40 hrs. They understood and cut my benefits by 10%. As a 46 yr old CFer, somedays I am so exhausted when I get home that I don't feel like doing anything but going to bed. I'm not good about doing the medicines and forget about excercise...there's just no time or energy.
Michele
Post a Comment