I told my husband that I ordered the shirt as I was giggling about the message, which I find amusing. He just looked at me, dumbfounded, and said "I don't get it". Please tell me you get it.
CF denial is sometimes a wonderful thing. Not the type that leads to apathy and non-compliance. Instead, the kind where you unconsciously go through your daily CF routine, while not thinking or obsessing about the harsh realities of this beast we call Cystic Fibrosis. The kind where you're feeling sorta good for a day or two and you 'almost' forget. The kind where you're so busy or preoccupied with life that CF doesn't make it into your thoughts for minutes...sometimes hours. The kind where you sometimes feel like everyone else...all the other 'normal' people. This is my kind of CF denial and let me tell you...it is one comfortable place to be. So this is my effort to raise CF Denial Awareness!
This shirt was designed by Kelly Langs, a graphic designer with CF, for the late Paul Mooney aka "Q". I never got to know Q...he died just before I delved into the world of cyber-CF. From what I've heard, he was a funny guy, who wrote and sang music about CF in a very Bob Dillonesque fashion. I have all of his songs, with my favorite being "Cystic Dreams". Listening is a good time. These shirts were being sold for Q to help pay for his transplant. Following his death, Q's parents started an organization call The Cystic Dreams Fund and all shirt proceeds now go to this fund.
If you want a shirt like mine, you can order from here.
Ciao!
8 comments:
I get it... and I think what I did would be qualified somewhere between giggling and chuckling.
Thanks for posting this! I am ordering one for myself and one for my little one to wear one day. :D
I have CF? Crap! Does my wife know? :-)
The shirt is clever. I likes.
I love this shirt! I want the one is sky frost. Thanks for sharing this. I am SO in denial most of the time! LOL Also loved Paul's song.
Not having CF, I still get it. I guess you could call me a Cyster-in-law. Jim always says that a good dose of denial is ok and I completely agree! :)
What a nice post. I chatted with Q many times online and followed his blog/site. He was quite a talent and I was sad when the transplant didn't keep him with us longer. Thanks for keeping his name out there.
I'm glad you guys got it and appreciate the message.
Denise, you are the best Cyster in law I know!
Josh, we've been through this, but I'll tell you again. Yes, you have CF and yes your wife knows :-)
Thanks for ordering the shirts, guys! I really do wish I could have gotten to meet Q in his lifetime...
:) Paul. I loved him so much. The world is not the same without him. I have the denial shirt too. No one ever asks me what it means though, which I think is kinda good since how do you explain denial to someone who doesn't get it?
Post a Comment