I sometimes feel this struggle when in public. Why share my burdens with others? However, within myself I have come to the conclusion that all of my feelings about my journey are OK. I am doing the best I can each and every day. I get sad...I get pissed off...I worry more than I should...I feel deep joy...I am appreciative... I feel such a range of emotions and all of them are acceptable. Maybe not acceptable to the eternal optimist, but acceptable to me.I do, however, feel that being happy and enjoying life important. I think I am a generally positive person, if only because it's more fun to live life this way. Yet, I make room for other feelings too. I also try to never tell anyone else how they should feel.
The link below expresses how I feel about this topic... please take the time to read!
Positive Thinking vs. Realistic Thinking
10 comments:
I had a dream you got new lungs and I was in the OR in the transplant :)
Yay! I made it into your dreams! No need for a transplant for me yet, Annie...
i feel the same way! who said we have to be positive all of the time? we were made to have different emotions, why not use them? that being said i prefer to be happy too, just like you. cool post.
I do agree with you...I do try to stay positive most of the time...today I happen ro be very bummed and frustrated! It's been a rough month and yet my pfts are at my lowest ever! This was a good post...I would like to have your email...mine is in my blog profile.If you don't mind, would you send it to me?
Oh, I struggle with this too. Thank you for reminding that it's nit only ok, but important and healthy to express a full range of emotions.
Amen, sister. I am generally a really positive person (more so than most people I know) - but like I said on facebook, I think that you have to take time to grieve once in awhile.
Great post! I guess my response would be that it is completely natural and often therapeutic to go through those emotions. Yes, CF sucks, it can piss me off, it can make me sad etc. For me, I think it's important how I respond to those feelings. I choose to try my best to respond in a positive way. I've struggled in the past with responding to "negative" feelings with negative responses and had to learn the hard way that it didn't work for me.
Thanks for your comments all! Ronnie, I completely agree...people have a choice of how to respond to their feelings. I, too, eventually try to put a positive spin on things. I am certainly not promoting that people should give up, cling to depression or become non-compliant, due to the difficult emotions. I am just saying that it is OK to feel things other that happiness and appreciation all the time when you've been faced with adversity. I think there is a lot of pressure on people with illnesses to be strong/positive/inspirational all the time. I think that can create a challenge in and of itself. Just some things I've felt/experienced on my journey... Thanks for reading and commenting!
Hi stacey, cheers for the comment on my blog, totally get this, Why do we have to be 'positive' all the time, I agree im a genrally positive person but positivity is not going to dirve me through everything, but dealing with my emotions and talking about them does. x
Nice to meet you. Wonderful post. I agree with you, it's hard to share feelings with someone whose advice is to "just think positive."
Nikki
Post a Comment