Thursday, February 10, 2011

Clinic Update # Gajillion

I had clinic again today. No surprises meant I left a happy girl. My PFT's were stable and now that I'm on Doxy I feel pretty good. Just a little fatigued here and there, along with intermittent belly pain, but that's to be expected when on 4 antibiotics. The only thing left is waiting the few days for the culture results to come back...

One thing that I have been experiencing lately is peripheral neuropathy. This can be a side effect of long term Zyvox use. Basically, neuropathy is nerve damage that can be permanent, that is sometimes caused by medication toxicity. This is manifesting itself in me by causing intense tingling in my hands. It feels like they're asleep, but no amount of moving them around takes the sensation away. Each episode that I've had has lasted from a couple minutes to an hour, and it most often occurs in me at night. Honestly, at this point it's just annoying. Not painful at all. However, neuropathy can get very severe. It can cause debilitating pain or lead to the loss of all feeling in the hands or feet. I was supposed to have 7 months left on the Zyvox. It is a very important component in abscessus treatment. However, Dr. Dazzle wants me to discontinue the drug immediately. He thinks the danger of having to deal with permanent nerve damage outweighs the benefits that I am getting from the drug right now. Some studies in South Korea show that abscessus can be treated sucessfully with Doxycycine, Amikacin and Azithromycin, so this will be my new plan. I tolerate the Doxy well, even though it makes it torturous to be in the sun. Guess I'll have to try to be a hermit again this summer :-/

I also signed my consents for a new study I will be starting on Monday. What's adding one more drug to the mix after all? I will be doing a double-blind Spireva study. I did a Spireva study a little over a year ago, but it was just testing the reactions of CF patients to the medication. This time they are looking for evidence that the drug can improve lung function. I have 2/3 chance of getting the drug versus the placebo. This is probably the 40th study I have participated in since childhood...no joke... I am the study queen!

So all in all it was a great appointment! Now, I'm just keeping my tingly fingers crossed that my cultures show that I have no new lung inhabitants...


7 comments:

Katy said...

Glad that you are stable! Not cool about the peripheral neuropathy though. Right now I am on IV Vancomycin, but when IV's are done I am being switched to Zyvox because it seems to be the ONLY thing that works on me (oral antibiotic wise) anymore. I hope for your sake that the neuropathy stays minimal and doesn't get any worse. Keep us updated on the study! I was on spiriva a while ago when they were trying to get my asthma under control - but the doctor I was seeing at the time didn't give it enough of a shot. Studies are great! =) I've been in plenty since I was little as well!

Unknown said...

Thanks for doing all those studies. It is an important part of our community! I have a hard time findings studies that work for me.

Colleen

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your study! I'm glad you can tolerate the Doxy...I couldn't at all. I was sick to my stomach for 6 weeks with it. I was really glad to read this post. My left hand has been doing the tingly thing for the last few days. I was planning to ask at my clinic visit on Monday,now I'm really curious.

Amanda said...

Oh man, sorry about the neuropathy. I was on Zyvox for a short period of time and thought about that side effect. Ugh. Glad the Doxy is helping. I was on that one last summer and went to float the river and even with 80 SPF and continuous applying, I was fried and looked like a lobster. Of course it doesn't help that I'm fair skinned and freckly! Be careful!

Stacey said...

Thanks for the comments, all! Katy, the Zyvox only causes these types of prolems when it's used for longer than 4 months, and it's even rare in those cases. I hope things start looking up for you soon!
Colleen, I know, there are so many rules with trials. There have been quite a few that I haven't qualified for also.
Marcia - The doxy is hard on my skin in the summer, but it's OK on my belly. Are you on Zyvox? I'm not sure what other drugs can cause neuropathy?
Oh, Amanda! I know that the Doxy is brutal in the sun. I was on it all last summer...grr! I think I'll be inside a lot :-(

PicklePits said...

Stacey,

Thanks for your willingness to partake in so many studies. Do you remember your first one? How old you were? How you felt about doing it? If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to read.

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for following! I'm following you back from www.survivingateacherssalary.blogspot.com