Monday, February 14, 2011

Guess I'm Not One of "Those" People

When Dr. Dazzle and I first began our discussions about eradicating the mycobacterium abscessus, he told me of these people who have been diagnosed with this nasty bacteria...who received treatment...and who never cultured it again. They were able to basically render the abscessus dormant. I knew that this particular bug is difficult to treat. I knew that this bug can cause irreparable lung damage. I knew that the treatment itself was very risky. I decided to take the risk, because I KNEW that I was going to be one of "those" people that Dr. Dazzle told me about in our discussions. One of "those" people who would have nothing but positive results.

Today I found out that I am, in fact, not one of "those" people. The mycobacterium is back. I was able to suppress it the entire 4 months of my initial IV therapy. I finished my IV's in December. It waited less than 2 months to return. It looks like this is going to be one of those things I am just going to wrestle with for the rest of my life. Dr. Dazzle and I had a chat about it. He said that while we were hoping that it would not return, we knew it would be a possibility. For now, we are not going to change my treatment plan. We are now going to focus on treating based on symptoms. My PFT's are very stable, I'm not having fevers and I'm not having an increased cough. For now, we will just go with the flow.
After the phone call with Dr. Dazzle I joined my family in the kitchen to help my husband with dinner. I told him the treatment plan, saying that I will now be on Azithromycin and nebulized Amikacin for life. My daughter overheard this conversation and said, "You mean you'll even be on these medications when you're 96 years old?". *SILENCE* When I finally caught my breath sufficiently to respond I said, "Oh sweet pea, yes, hopefully I'll still be doing these medications when I'm 96 years old". Moments like these are the worst part of this damn disease...

So I'm not going to lie...I'm bummed. I feel like I put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into this treatment plan for the past 6 months, and we're right back where we started. Dr. Dazzle assures me that just because it's present, doesn't mean we didn't suppress it. This must be what it feels like to relapse from cancer. I not a big fan of this type of disappointment.

All that being said, I feel pretty good physically. That's a HUGE plus! I also have a lot to distract me from thinking too much about this crappy news. I think I'll go get myself a mani/pedi sometime this week...then all will be right with the world :-)

17 comments:

Denise Fahr said...

Ahhh, that bites! Sounds like you're in good hands with Dr. D. CF sucks! Hang tough girl! xoxo

Unknown said...

Sorry if this is dumb, but I hope you are good physiologically (*missspelled)

the meta-treatment might be just as good kid. Dont worry as much about what modern meds can do, but what your attitude and vibes can do for you. There is something to be said for this. I am not religious, yet you can do something based on your mind. We can help you - I will do what I can. Sorry if this is something you dont believe in, because I do.

Unknown said...

Please dont be bummed. I am bummed and it sucks. You have kids and people who love you. I dont mean to say you are lucky, but you have more than me. Be happy for what you have.

PicklePits said...

Well, well, well...what to say? My first reaction was probably not one you would care to publish - what can I say? I tend to go all sailor when bad news hits. I am however hoping that the stabe PFTs are working in your favor.

Keep your head about this...don't let it throw you. Hang tight and hand on!

Lizi Silver said...

So sorry to hear this disappointing news. I'm certain you'll keep fighting and doing whatever you have to do, but it certainly knocks you down for a few moments (or days, as the case may be).
Thinking of you and hoping that the symptoms continue to lay dormant. Perhaps there's still hope you'll turn out to be one of "those" people in a while.

Katy said...

I'm sorry to hear that it is back. Unfortunately sometimes no matter what we do, we can't get rid of some of these nasty bugs. You know that you are doing everything you can. And you said you feel good, so that's a step in the right direction! It's more about how you FEEL. Even with PFT numbers. I have had amazing PFT's in the past and then sometimes actually feel good, and blow lower. I hope you continue to feel great and definitely treat yourself to that mani/pedi! I am doing that thursday with my sister! (with an added 10min foot massage!)

Anonymous said...

Treat yourself to more than a mani/pedi, which makes me feel strange writing mani/pedi, and get yourself a massage. Spring for the 1.5 hour version. Go for it.

I feel for you hearing that news. It must have hurt. The future is a long time and one cannot predict what new CF drugs will come out in that time. I am confident one of the drugs will do so much for you (and others) that the m.a. won't be able to hang out in your lungs. That is the future I'm hoping for - for you.

Here's to you living to be 96 without a nebulizer hanging from your wrinkled mouth with fake kitty whiskers painted near it.

Unknown said...

*hugs* that its all xx

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear this...it is a bummer! But who knows, you just may be one of those people one day. So glad you feel good and pft's are stable. Enjoy the spa time, I say get a massage too. I'm ready for some of that stuff too! Hugs to you!!

Jenny Livingston said...

All I can say to this is I'm sorry. This really does suck. But, I know that you are capable of handling this news (and all the crap it brings). You are strong. You are incredible. You really seem to be okay with this, and that makes me happy.

But still... it sucks!

Unknown said...

Happy to hear that physically you're feeling good! Sorry to hear about that stubborn bug though.

Stacey said...

Thanks for ALL the love! I feel it and it certainly helps. Today was a new day. My mani/pedi is scheduled and I've decided to focus on the fact that I'm feeling well, instead of what some stupid culture is telling me. Also, NIH is meeting about my case in 2 weeks and I'll be able to schedule my visit to see the guru.

UC, you always make me laugh! You better never go anywhere, because I seriously don't know what I would do without you!

Shannon said...

After I got your FB comment I had to get my butt over here and catch up on you. I am so so sorry that this happened :( I wish so much you were one of "those" people. Your daughter's comment just killed me, I know those comments from my own kids so well. I never know how to answer them. You are in my thoughts and heart <3

Amanda said...

Oh man Stacey, I'm sorry you had to have this huge blow. I just HATE waiting back for those cultures and it is never good when you don't hear the words you want to hear. You are resiliant. Very touched by your daughter's comment. It is something we all struggle with. Glad you're keeping your wits about you!

Somer Love said...

Ugh sorry to hear this. Keep that chin up, and definitely get a mani and pedi... the effects are powerful :)

Anonymous said...

Hi! I’m your newest follower. Please stop by and follow back when you have a chance. We also have a blog hop on Fridays! Hope you are having a Sweet Week.

http://www.AMommysSweetBlogDesign.com
Free Blog Tutorials, Buttons, & Templates

http://www.MommysReviewsandGiveaways.com

Amanda said...

Thanks for stopping by. New follower!
http://tooblessed-tobestressed.blogspot.com/