Thursday, September 9, 2010

Day 1...Not So Bad!

Well, I've made it to the end of day one. I got my PICC placed very soon after arriving. I posted some gory pictures they took of the procedure on Facebook. I wanted to see what they do, but I refused to watch the action live. This placement was not as easy peasy as I would have liked. They stuck me twice and tried to thread the line, only to get resistance. That was a crazy feeling. The third time was a charm. Even with all of the Xanax, my anxiety was increasing with each failed attempt. I could feel my face getting really hot. Now that I've had a PICC in the past I feel completely comfortable with this thing. I've already laid on that arm to sleep. It took weeks for me to do that last time! I am officially a PICC pro! I'm not sure this is a good thing?

Today we started the Tigecycline in a very small dose. This drug is know to cause horrible nausea, so I was given Zofran before even being given the med. Tig is the one drug that I will do for 8 weeks by IV. We also started the Linasolid and Azithromycin oral. I had no side effects at all! At least not yet... Tomorrow I will have my vision and hearing test completed. We need to get a baseline, since vision and hearing loss are side effects of using these drugs long-term. Since I will be on everything, except the Tig, for a year we really need to keep an eye on these things.

All in all it was a good day. I fell asleep at 5pm and slept until 9pm. Think I may have been tired??? Thank heavens for Ambien, which will likely keep me on a good sleep schedule! I plan to get out of here on Monday if all goes well. If it goes like it has so far, that should be no problem. I'll finish the 8 weeks of IV's from home. I think I'm pretty much a pro at that now too. I wonder if this is a good thing?

3 comments:

aleeesadarling said...

Oh yes, Tig makes me sicker than a dog! I hope you react well to it<3 It is good to be a PICC pro ;) Trust me! I am being admitted tomorrow morning. mycobacterium is a really really hard thing to get rid of, but with the right treatment and a lot of trial and error, you will eventually start to feel amazing again! I wish you a speedy stay! <3

Debbie said...

so is having no side effects yet a good thing or does it take a while for the effects to "show up?"

Jesse Petersen (CF Fatboy) said...

Ambien is awesome. I grew into an allergy to cefepime over several courses. Finally, I would start with an ants crawling sensation by the second day and then a rash on the third. They took me off it and started me on another and my issues went away. Give it a couple of days to build up into your system, but then you should be good to go for at least the 8 weeks.

All the best with it, for sure!