Saturday, July 10, 2010

My (un)Scientific Study

I have been on my IV's for about 2 weeks now. I love the freedom of being able to administer my IV medications at home. It's not an option for everyone, so I am thankful that I have been able to take this path. I must say, the most fun part of this whole experience for me has been doing my own little experiment in human behavior.

I am fortunate enough to live right between a Target and a Walmart. They are both within walking distance. I have to admit that I am a Target girl all the way! No offense to all of you Walmart peeps out there. Target just feels a little like home. Maybe I've just become hypnotized by the logo...

I have a couple of rules I follow when shopping at Target and Walmart. For Target, I never wear a red shirt. This causes major confusion for everyone involved. I don't know how many times I have asked a random shopper in a red shirt for help. Walmart is a bit different. I can be colorful, but I must remember to wear day time clothes, that are not ill-fitting and that cover all of the appropriate parts. If not, I risk becoming one of the "People of Walmart" from the now famous website.

I have been to Target 3 times this past week and a half (yes, I go that often). I was not infusing my medication during any of these trips, so my IV lines were neatly wrapped up in a coban bandage. You can still see what's going on in there, but it's not quite as obvious as it would be if I had the medication hooked up. During each of the trips I got a few people who stared, a couple who whispered to the person they were with, a few of the cocked head and puppy dog eyes and one very frightened little girl who looked at my arm then backed away slowly until she reached the security of her mothers side. My favorite is when a person is staring and when you look their way they quickly try to look at something else. I really don't mind at all. I would stare and wonder too.

I needed Lego's for my son, who's turning 4 in a couple weeks. I've learned that when you need toys, Walmart is the way to go. WAY cheaper and much better selection. I had a few minutes one evening after dinner, but I was in the middle of infusing my meds. Off to Walmart I went anyway. I had no bandage over my line, my tubes were dangling and I was holding the medication dispenser in my hand. I walked in expecting the type of reaction I got from the Target customers, but instead I got NO reaction. Not one person seemed to notice. I walked in, loaded up on cheap Lego's, walked out and did not get a second glance or scare any children. Maybe everyone was so mesmerized by the roll-back prices? Maybe they were too busy seeking out wardrobe malfunctions?

I found that the differences here were very obvious. I'm kinda concluding that the "People of Walmart" are a bit more accepting or apathetic about differences. Keep in mind that I'm saying this as a Target girl, myself. Hmmm! It just made me think...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live within walking distance to a Target and Walmart, too. I like Target better, as does my wife. You have huge courage for walking in there doing I.V.s. I never could have done that. Even in the summer I'm the guy in the long sleeve shirt. Or, I'll wrap one of the stretch bandages around it. You rock. Send some of that boldness my way.

Jesse Petersen (CF Fatboy) said...

I am literally laughing out loud at that. Those people of Walmart... hilarious!

Cystic Gal said...

I am a Target girl as well, except that recently my Target doubled in size and now it is half as fun because it's so HUGE. No Wallmarts in sight, but hell, I live in Massachusetts. xxoo you're funny, cg

Jen said...

LOVE this post!! :)