It was 1978 and I was 2 1/2 years old. I had been in and out of the hospital with pneumonia for more than a year. I would improve, go home, and decline. Each time my pneumonia was treated, but the cause of the repeated infection was never investigated. After being in the hospital more than not that entire second year of my life, my mother refused to take me home until someone found out what was causing my repeated illnesses. The doctors were reluctant to do a sweat test, because I was not a "failure to thrive" baby. I did not show signs of the digestive symptoms that CF often causes. At my mother's insistence they did a sweat test, which came back at a 95. They repeated it several times and got this very high number each and every time. My parents were told that I had Cystic Fibrosis. They knew what this meant. Our neighbor 2 doors down, Kim, was 12 years old and also lived with CF. She actually babysat me many times. My parents knew how complicated life was for Kim and her family with CF as an additional burden. The doctors told my parents that the life expectancy was 12 and that they would have to work hard to keep me alive. This was the knowledge that medical experts had about CF in the 70's.
My parents worked their butts off for me. I did nebulizer treatments and they did manual postural drainage on me every morning and night...never fail. Both of my parents worked full time, but they never skipped my treatments. They always made sure I took my pills and they missed a lot of work ensuring that I got to all of my well appointments and all of those unplanned appointments when I was ill. I know that my parents grieved. They both grieved differently, but they both grieved. When you have a child you have expectations for that child and their future. When a parent is told that the future of their child may be compromised it is a loss. I think that's one reason I worry so much about my future...not for my sake...but for the sake of my beautiful babies.
This story gets to the heart of what I think my parents may have felt:
WELCOME TO HOLLAND
by
by
Emily Perl Kingsley.
c1987 by Emily Perl Kingsley. All rights reserved
I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......
When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.
After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."
"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."
But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.
The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.
So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.
It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.
But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."
And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.
But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.
While I think my parents got more than they bargained for, they made my life full of wonderful things. They helped feed my determination. Caring for myself was necessary, but not limiting. They made sure I stayed active, putting me in dance and sports. I think that's part of the reason I continue to work out 4-6 times per week. When the going got tough, when they were tired and overworked, when their marriage failed...they did not give up on my health. They worked their asses off for me and taught me how to be an aggressive advocate for my care. I give them, along with medical advances, a lot of credit for getting me to where I am today.
I love you Mom Dad! I'm so sorry that my health made your world more complicated. I am forever thankful for all of your hard work and care over the past 33 years!

7 comments:
best line ever, "Caring for myself was necessary, but not limiting."
love it! thanks for sharing your story!
This is a really beautiful depiction of your family... Thank you so much for sharing this.... It's so important that these stories get out there...
I absolutely love that Holland analogy. Would you mind if I steal it and repost it on my blog?
Thanks, ladies! Teresa, absolutely, share away. I share this with the parents of the children with cancer I work with... They can really relate.
Thanks so much for sharing this, Stacey!
Love your story, Stacey! Very appropriate way to start of May. I think it's wonderful you can look back with admiration and gratitude for all your parents did for you... you do a fantastic job at continuing that determination and advocacy forward into your own adulthood.
Happy May,
Liz
CF wife
It makes me a little sad, that last part, about feeling bad for making their lives more complicated. I bet they didn't mind a bit, you were (are) totally worth it! I've long thought I would so much rather be the CFer than the parent of one. Can you imagine the heartache of having a sick kid? Parenting is hard enough as it is! Beautiful post!!
Post a Comment