Another day, another lung bug. Honestly, I have no idea how there is enough room in there for all of these germs. I now culture 5...that's FIVE...types of bacteria in my airbags. This is what I imagine is going on inside.
So let's review...1) Staphylococcus - I have cultured staff my entire life.
2) Mycobacterium Abscessus - This is a very aggressive infection that led to the treatment protocol that I am still on.
3) Heamophilus Influenza - I cultured this in October, while I was on IV's. The IV's helped and I didn't need additional treatment.
4) Mycobacterium Avium Complex (MAC) - This was a new discovery that was shared with me in December. No additional treatment beyond that I'm getting for the m. abscessus is necessary at this point. This one derives from birds. Go figure...I don't even like birds.
5) Enteric Bacilli - This is my latest friend. Here's the scoop...
Enteric Bacilli is a gram negative rod that can grow in the lungs of people with CF and those who are neutropenic (low white blood count). BINGO...I have both. I am certain that the neutropenia played a role in me acquiring this new bug. I looked for answers about this Enteric Bacilli on google and freaked myself out. There was a whole bunch of talk about necrosis of the lungs. I also think it is related to E. Coli, which I know a friend of mine cultures in her lungs... Holy crap...literally! Dr. Dazzle always warns me to stay away from Dr. Google, as he/she tends to make people panic.
The good news is that Dr. Dazzle said I have as much of a chance of dying in a car accident on my way to work, than getting lung necrosis from Enteric Bacilli. Dr. Dazzle knows that I work from home, so that was very reassuring. He said that I got it from my nebulizer. I guess this germ just comes and goes as it pleases without treatment. Finally, a germ I don't have to worry about killing!
I am one of the 5% of adults with CF who has never, ever cultured pseudomonas. I would really like to keep it that way. I don't think I have taken all of the precautions necessary when cleaning/sterilizing my neb cups. I rinse them thoroughly and put them in the dishwasher, but I hear of people boiling them. I have never done such a thing. Since I have never cultured pseudomonas, I haven't needed to use my nebulizer all that much in my lifetime.
So, I'm looking for some advice. How do you sterilize your neb cups? Do you ever use them twice in the same day if you wash them out, or do you completely sterilize after every use? Inquiring minds want to know...
9 comments:
I boil mine in the microwave in a pampered chef glass measuring bowl (the big one)that is used only for this purpose...I use distilled water I buy in gallon jugs from the grocery store. I let them airdry before I use them. I have cultured PA only twice-once each time I was pregnant-strange-huh? Wonder if it is has anything to do with our mutations?? Take care!
Marci
Hey, I recognize a few of those guys!
Rylan has cultured PA three times already in her short little 2 yr lifespan :( So, I've always been on the spastic side and boil all nebs after every use. But, I do know several other moms here local that just use soap and hot water after every use, and boil once a week or so. I'm also with Marci and only use grocery store water and let them airdry before each use. I do think hers has a lot to do with her mutations, but no one can say for sure. She doesn't take enzymes and seems to be gaining/maintaining weight ok, we just get to battle that darn PA bug more than most. Ugh. Who knows. I know boiling after every use seems daunting, so maybe after every other use? Hope you and your beautiful family enjoyed the holidays! Big hugs....
Hi~ I am no expert, I am a Mom to a 6 month old with CF. She cultures Psuedo. But to do her nebs, I wash after every use, and sterilize in a NUK bottle cleaner, then use a Germ Guardian, that drys them, and I leave them in there until I use them again.
Hope that helps.
My 21 month old has cultured Psuedo, Staph, and a couple of others. We boil our nebs after every use, and let them air dry.
I rotate two or three sets of nebs at a time. When I finish with one I soak it in alcohol. It only has to soak for 10 min. to sterilize it, but I often just leave one set in the alcohol until my next treatment, then I take that set out to air dry and dunk a new set. It works pretty well for me. I even take my alcohol tupperware on the road with me and buy alcohol at Walgreen's wherever I'm staying.
Thanks so much for all of the great suggestions. I think I'm going to try the suggestions and see what works best... You guys are the greatest!
I have six nebs in rotation. I use each one for one treatment, which is xopenex and hypertonic saline. Then it gets boiled. So, I boil once every day or every other day depending on how many I use.
I've got 2 nebs - Altera and TRIO. I use a baby bottle sterilizer once per week or so. http://www.cffatboy.com/2010/03/i-love-my-philips-avnt-iq24-sterilizer/
Post a Comment