
Cough: A CF cough for most is very congested sounding. A coughing fit can last several minutes. Most people with CF cough every single day...I do. Some people with CF cough so hard that they open up a wound or blood vessel in their lungs and can cough up large amounts of blood. This is called Hemoptysis.
Salty Skin: In the middle ages in Europe they were informally diagnosing children with an unknown disease, simply based on salty skin. They used to say, "a child who tastes salty from a kiss on the brow...is hexed and soon must die". The disease that they were talking about was CF. My sweat is salty. I look like I have frosted skin when sweat dries on my face. Ick...sometimes it even burns my skin and eyes. On a positive note, I'm sure it exfoliates my skin at the same time!
"CF Belly": I kinda made this one up... I haven't seen anything written on this topic, but I have spoken about it with several of my girlfriends with CF. That means it's definitely true! People with CF typically have difficulty keeping weight on. The CF pancreas does not digest fats. When the pancreas is deficient, it's called pancreatic insufficiency. CFer's who are PI take enzymes so that they can digest more of the foods and nutrients that they ingest. I am pancreatic sufficient. My pancreas still digests some of the fat and nutrients I take in, however not all of them. I am just not at the point yet where I need to take enzymes.
(Nope, this is not MY belly)
CF patients are encouraged to eat a lot of very high fat food. I have no problem with this part of the disease! My CF doctors have also encouraged me to keep a little layer of extra fat stored on me, since when I get sick it will melt away. Mission accomplished on that one! However, when us CF ladies get together we often feel the need to compare our CF belly's. Many of us have a similar body type, including skinnier arms and legs, along with the 4 month pregnant belly look. I'm sure the belly has to do with digestion...I don't know. I just know that no amount of crunches are going to flatten this girls CF belly :-/ I want to hear from my Cysters out there... Any of you have the "CF belly"?
A little health update. Not too much has changed in the last few weeks. I am still on the IV and nebulized Amikacin, along with the oral Zyvox and Azithromycin. My white blood cells and platelets have been behaving. I have a clinic visit next Wednesday, at which I will have my PICC pulled. No more IV's after Wednesday! Whew!
13 comments:
I'm part of the CF belly club! My sister/cyster has always said that we look like a cherry tomato with toothpicks for arms and legs.
I had a CF belly pre tx so it def exists. I've lost too much weight to have one now. But I like this post and the pic of the girl saying I dont look sick
I totally have the CF belly... so do most people I know! It's because of poor digestion.
Ahhh, you hit this one on the nose Stacey!!
I have all of the above :)
I noticed my bra size going up....without my boobs getting larger, a few years ago. Yep, that was my ribs expanding to accomadate my diseased lungs. Uggh. I hate my clubbed fingers, and I HATE my CF belly. The cough doesn't bother me as much, probably because I don't notice it half of the time unless it is bad!
And I don't have many salty skin issues either. At least I don't notice!
Good job on the education! I like to think I know some about CF...but I had no idea about the belly! Interesting stuff...but wish you didn't have to deal with all of it! : )
I thought it was just me!! My poor CF belly. My friends always get a kick out of it when I push it out a bit and put my hands on my hips cause I look prego. Any weight I am lucky enough to gain seems to go straight to that belly. I use to hate my clubbing cause it's pretty noticeable on me but now I don't ever notice till someone says something about my fingers looking different and I'm just like oh ya thats from my cf and they get all surprised cause they think it only effects my lungs. So glad to hear you are doing well though!
Glad to see a post from you. I was starting to worry and was about to email you. Happy that you're doing all right.
I definitely have the cf belly. Though back in high school when I had abs my belly was flat. Mine was never bad until after I had Lily so I think that made it worse lol
Remember when we compared bellies? LOL! You know I am part of that club!
I have a CF belly, especially when I've just eaten, it just balloons! majorly annoying haha x
Yippee! So glad so many share the round belly body type with me! Sure thing, Colleen! I remember comparing our bellies! That's why I wrote about it! Thanks all for commenting! I LOVE comments!
Well, I didn't know about the clubbed fingernails! Thanks for educating me too :).
Oh the dreaded CF gut as I like to call it. Oh yes I have it and more so right now with this extra 15 pounds I found somewhere. I know where it came from. It came from the depo shot in hopes to stop my period to stop me getting sick prior to & during my period I really want to loose it and never find it again. I'm pretty sure the bloated belly is due to gas, pooh and overworking insides, that is my educated guess. All I know is when my sister said, "you've got a little pooch going," one day, my response was I haven't pooped yet today...hahaha!
Shannon 30 w/cf
www.caringbridge.org/visit/65rosescf
Post a Comment