Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Bittersweet Appointment

Today I finished my IV's. I had a clinic appointment and got my PICC pulled! Sweet relief! Today was 3 1/2 months in the making...the end of phase one of my treatment of Mycobacterium Abscessus (I am a HORRIBLE speller...and realize that I have spelled this wrong almost every time I've written it over the past several months...oops). The plan going forward is to continue nebulized Amikacin every other month for at least a year. I will continue the oral Zyvox for one year and I will continue the oral Azithromycin for life. I can certainly handle this plan!

I anticipated that I would be jubilant after today's clinic visit. I imagined that I would have stable PFT's, the m. abscessus would be gone and I would return home to my normal life. I knew it wasn't going to go as I imagined when the first PFT I blew was down 6% from last month. After three tries I was able to improve, so I actually only had a 3% decline overall. Not horrible, but I expected further improvement after all of the blood, sweat and tears I put into this treatment plan. Yet, it was not to be today.

Then I headed into my appointment with Dr. Dazzle. One of the first things I asked was about my last cultures. I really wanted to know if the H Flu was still present in my culture from last month. The look on his face when I asked told me immediately that all was not well with my cultures. I have not cultured m. abscessus since September, about a month after I started my treatment. This is great news! So what's new? I now can add Mycobacterium Avium Complex...also known as MAC...to the list of bugs living in my lungs. There must have been a buy one get one free deal going on when I contracted my mycobacterium. MAC is common in immunocompromised people, especially AIDS patients. It also tends to like living in the lungs of people with CF. This avium strain derives from birds. I don't even like birds!!! I guess it can also be found in dirt, dust and water. It is not as destructive as the Mycobacterium Abscessus can be, so it is often not treated until it progresses. This MAC was discovered after the full eight week examination of my late September culture. Dr. Dazzle thinks that the drugs I have been on over these last few months should have suppressed the MAC.

Yet, I'm bummed. My last 2 appointments have resulted in culturing 2 new bugs. This MAC is another one that will never go away completely. It can only be controlled. I did everything right. I have worked so hard all fall to get my lungs in tip top shape. In spite of my efforts, I still lost some lung function and picked up two new bugs. Today I learned that CF has a mind of its own. There are aspects of it that I can NOT control, despite my best efforts. Piss off CF!

Dr. Dazzle and I chatted a bit about my Brochiectasis. Mine is pretty much all in my upper lobes. My upper left lobe is the worst. That damn upper left lobe has been a thorn in my side for a while. I also met with one of the research nurses. They want me to participate in a quick one day study to test out a new way of doing Nasal PD's. It will involve getting another PFT, a sweat test, a nasal PD and nasal scrapes. So I'm heading out to the hospital again tomorrow for another all day round of procedures, this time for the sake of research. I'm bummed that I don't qualify for the Vertex study :-( Yet, they have a phase 3 Spireva study that I will start in January. I was involved in the phase 2 version of the same study.

Basically, I'm a bit frustrated that it always seems that there has to be some bad news to even out the good. I am going to work on focusing on the fact that I feel good and I am PICC free!!! I am heading out to a celebratory dinner with my family! I did 3 1/2 months of IV's without completely losing my mind... For this I think I deserve some sushi!

If you heard REALLY loud music and lousy singing coming from a car today, it was probably from me. This song makes me feel GOOD and represents how I feel about the end of this era!

11 comments:

Josh said...

Glad you are on the mend. These other things that have mysteriously popped up...they will be controlled. They will be contained. In some cases, they will be eradicated.

You are wonderful. You are great. You. Are. You.

Misha said...

I am so sorry sweetie. I also cultured a new but recently. When I went into the hospital I wasn't even sick but I got results from my culture that said I was growing MRSA. Although I know ALOT of people have it I'm so pissed. I've taken great care of myself, ALWAYS mask when in a docs office, rub alcohol on everything, sanitize my hands like there's no tomorrow and won't go in crowds (without a mask at least) EVERYTHING I could do I did it! I am also on zyvox in hopes of eradicating this bug. I hope it's kinder to you than it has been me.... it has been so mean to my tummy :(

Laura said...

At least the bad news has a bright side though!! I'm so happy for you to be finally off IV's!!!! Enjoy it my dear!

Jess said...

Florence and the Machine does a song called "Between Two lungs" and their album is actually called Lungs. Don't know if theres a personal story there or if its just ironic. I'm sorry that it seems like CF is always winning their battles. One step forward, two steps back, kind of thing. But you're so inspiring, tackling it all head-on. I wish I could give you a big hug!

Amanda said...

Glad you are done with the ivs! Yay! I got off mine today too. Although, I just had to do 3 weeks. You should be so proud of yourself for hanging in there for 3 and a half months! I'm sorry to hear about the cultures, I know that is so frustrating. I'm always stressed about that when I go to the Doctor. I too cultured out a mycobacaterium a little over a year ago. I'm not sure if it is the same one, but I was told it is a sister of TB. Dormant, but really freaked me out! I've been on biaxin for a year and a half and it has seemed to keep it at bay. I haven't cultured it out in a while. I'm also on zyvox right now. Ugh it is tearing my gut up! I also hope it treats you better. Is it really true that we can't eat all of those foods?

Stacey said...

I do think it's cool that Florence & The Machine's album is called "Lungs". I'll have to research if there is a connection. She is FAB! Thanks for the support all! Amanda, my belly seems OK on the Zyvox. I've been on it for almost 4 months now. I think I have a strong belly. I didn't know about all of the food restrictions until just recently...oops! Jess, holy cow, YOU are the inspiration. Misha, I'm so sorry about the MRSA. That's how my MA turned up. I went in for a routine tune-up and came out with a new bug...grrr! It is good that theyh caught it early and I know really aggressive treatment can hold it at bay. Joshy, you are the BEST for being YOU! Thanks, Laura!

Kristi Bowers said...

glad the PICC is out! Kaleb gets his port needle out on Friday! Sorry about the other bugs, keep your head up girly!

Kathy Cox said...

Good news about the PICC, Sorry about the 2 bugs. Maybe they will become friends and go off to play somewhere else, beside in your lungs!

Anonymous said...

I'm at a loss for words. I just want you to get rid of all of these bugs and feel perfect. I hate CF.

Jenny Livingston said...

First of all, UGH! I know where you are coming from, here. I have been busting my butt, being 100% compliant and putting more effort into my health than EVER before only to find that my lungs function continues to decline AND I have a new bug. (Hello, MRSA! Welcome to my lungs!)


It seems like there is always some bad news to spoil the good, but often when I sit down and really think about things, I find more good than bad... or at the very least, I break even. ;) Keep smilin' lady, and together we'll kick some serious CF booty!

P.S. My lower right lobe sounds like your upper left lobe -- always the source of problems.

Anonymous said...

I think you will want to get a facebook icon to your site. Just bookmarked this blog, although I must do it by hand. Just my $.02 :)