Sunday, November 14, 2010

Can You Hear Me Now?

I have had an amazing amount of energy this week and I'm not complaining. I got a call from my nurse on Friday saying that my blood counts are all out of whack again. Not surprisingly, my Hemoglobin was normal, hence the energy. However, my white count dropped back to 2. If they get to 1, which they probably are by now, I must give myself another Neupogen shot. My platelets are also giving me a run for my money right now. A normal platelet count is between 150,o00 and 300,000. Mine were 63,000 on Thursday when I had my last blood draw. My bone marrow better stop being lazy.

The other thing that I've noticed is that the hearing in my right ear feels different. It's a strange sensation. Twice this past week I have been stopped in my tracks from REALLY loud ringing in my right ear. It was so unpleasant that my immediate reaction was to grab my ear and shake my head until it stopped. It only lasted about 20 seconds, but it is making me a bit paranoid. Hearing loss is the biggest concern while I'm on this IV Amikacin. I feel like I am still able to hear well, though.

So I have a clinic visit on Thursday and I have some questions for Dr. Dazzle...surprise, surprise! I have 4 weeks left that I need to get in on these IV's. Will we continue this dance if my counts continue bouncing around? Could this turn into some type of permanent bone marrow condition? Is the ringing in my ears OK if it is only occasional? Could this become permanent?

I have been thankful for the burst of energy I had this past week! I had tons of fun. I kissed a camel named Charlie, I went out with my girlfriends, we refinanced the house and I finished my Christmas shopping. Life is Grand!

6 comments:

Stina said...

Cyster - I'm happy to hear you have energy, but bummed to hear of everything else. I'm keeping you in my thoughts. Sending you some LOVE!!!!

Christina said...

I love reading that you have energy!! Now for that bone marrow....

And I am quite impressed. You have finished your Christmas shopping? I haven't even started! Pass the energy please ;)

Ruth Jay said...

I hope your bone marrow kicks back into shape, what a pain! And tinnitis is horrible! I often have the ringing in my ears if my sinuses are being crazy, but obviously I know that IVs can cause this too and other hearing difficulties...here's hoping it goes away too

here's to continued high energy and fun!

Stacey said...

Thanks, Ladies!!! I'm so glad to have you FAB women on my side :-)

Anonymous said...

we call them Hema Goblins! hehe

how to reduce belly fat said...

Together with other abnormal ear noises, ear ringing is medically called tinnitus. Buzzing, roaring, and pulsitile sounds are sometimes perceived when no sound is present in persons with tinnitus