This was the first article written about her in an attempt to raise awareness about the importance of organ donation.http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/08/lung_transplant_patient_organ.html
Few people are aware that in many states expressing your wishes when getting your drivers license renewed is not enough. You have to actually sign up to ensure that your wishes are known. This is what Kerry wanted. She wished that people would make the decision to give of themselves, even after death, after hearing her personal pleas.
This is another article that was written this past Wednesday, when the doctors took Kerry off of the transplant list. She was no longer strong enough to survive a transplant.
This is an article that was written today. Announcing Kerry's death, but also sharing her final selfless act. Even though Kerry's body was broken, she chose to donate the tissue and organs that were still viable. Through her death, Kerry gave life. What an amazing example!
A few weeks back I mentioned to someone that another one of my Facebook friends died of CF. I have 6 friends who have died in the past 6 months from the disease we share. This person, not in an insensitive way, told me that I should stop making friends with people who are dying. That made me stop and reflect. It is hard when someone dies from CF. However, I know that the support that I receive from the CF community is so valuable that I am willing to create relationships with people with uncertain futures, even if that means I will have to cope with many losses as a result. They are the only one's who really understand what it's like to be in my skin...to breathe with my lungs. When I have a question, they give me answers and advice. When I am down, they lift me up. When I am up, they cheer me on. It is 100% worth it! I just hope, hope, hope that I am able to be as supportive to them at times as they are to me...
I never had the pleasure to meet Kerry in person. However, I feel the need to spread her message.
PLEASE, I beg of you, become an organ donor! Please go to http://www.organdonor.gov/. Save a Life!
5 comments:
Breathe Easy Kerry. we'll miss you.
I am also so saddened by her death...it's really not fair for her two boys.
I have had one of my best friends tell me that I need to stop making friends with people who are passing away, people with CF, but I have the same feelings as you, they are here to help me and I am here to help them. I love my Cysters and Fibros, they understand so much more than my "healthy" friends do. We all share a certain bond that no one can break. We all breathe or have breathed with the same crappy lungs, something that no one else can imagine. It's hard, I admit it, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
I lost 3 CFers last year who I was very close with, and speaking at Courtney's funeral was probably the hardest thing I have had to do, but I was honored that her family asked me to do it, and I'm happy that I could share one last happy memory with people who loved her for a lot longer than I have known her. Several more have died in the last 6 months, and it never gets easier. I have also lost my Grandma and one of my husband's Aunts within the last year, and losing a friend to CF was almost as hard as losing them, because they are, and always will be, my CF family.
This reminds me a little of the work that we do with people with cancer. It's certainly "easier" not to have relationships with people who may die, but I think what you get from your CF friends is greatly worth the pain of those you lose. Not to be trite, but kind of reminds me of the saying - better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
Becoming a donor is a simple thing to do. Sign a piece of paper, save a life or lives. :-) At least educate yourself on the process before you make a decision.
Regarding relationships with chronically ill people:
People come into our lives for a reason. We never know what that reason is most of the time, but I think it's to help us grow in some way. I'm disappointed in those who lose out on something special because they are afraid to be vulnerable.
Be brave and be open to love and friendship.
that is something I have been talking to people about around here...organ donation, so simple, yet such a gift.
Post a Comment